Monday, May 14, 2007

R-E-S-P-E-C-T: Find out what it means to me

The military, I'm getting around to noticing, has got pretty much no use for women.

That includes military women, civilian women, their own wives and mothers, women senators running for president...

No. What our Petrophile Overlords want from us girls is free labor, sexual servitude, someone to take advantage of and feel superior to and just generally abuse as needed. And if it's not too much to ask, could we SMILE big and gurgle admiringly in between?

Needless to say, this is starting to get on my nerves.

The trouble is, even nice guys get sucked into the military vortex around here. Guys I could trust last year are suddenly getting a contact testosterone buzz.

Makes me wonder how trustworthy they ever really were.


Am I alone in thinking that feminism seems to have been tied to the oil supply?

Is evolution moving backward?

We women can lock hands and refuse to be re-enslaved. All for one and one for all! Are you with me?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

feminism nosedived in the 90s as faludi predicted it would. i should re-read backlash & look for things she mentions relating to oil politics/culture.

Tlachtga said...

I worry that you're right--feminism is basically here because we had a middle class. Middle class == free time for activism. Without oil, no middle class. Without the middle class, I don't know what women will do, unless we make a serious, sustained effort to police our rights. Which, frankly, is hard to do if you're in a situation where your rights are stripped for not only gender reasons but economic reasons.

What worries me is sometimes I go onto peak oil sites, and invariably there's someone talking about how feminism will be dead, he'll have a harem, women will have to go back to being baby machines, etc. And they're happy--they're excited by this.

Solution? Don't know. I really don't know.

Anonymous said...


What our Petrophile Overlords want from us girls is free labor, sexual servitude, someone to take advantage of and feel superior to and just generally abuse as needed




wow, you believe that about all men, or just the military?

electric-car-girl said...

I'm mostly troubled by what happens to ordinary, nice guys when they get worried about basic survival. The military mindset takes over, and any respect they ever seemed to feel for a woman, or women in general, apparently evaporates. They seem to easily fall into the "pack-dog" mind, like every day is Super Bowl Sunday; ) Women somehow become "the help" rather than "the partner", which reminds me of my Grandmother's life.

I notice this a lot in my military community, how quickly women - and everything feminine - become irrelevant or distasteful in an emergency.