Monday, May 21, 2007

Storytellin in the hood

Now that electronic entertainment's hard to come by...
now that people actually talk to each other again, because it's free...
now that dinner has become an art form because food is precious and processed junk food is yesterday's bad news...
now that we gotta teach our kids on our own, and Dr. Seuss is falling apart...

...guess what's enjoying a grand REVIVAL around my neck of the woods?

The story...and the storyteller.

My brother says, no matter what year you live in, no matter where you go, the one who tells the STORY around the campfire gets the biggest chunk of yak.

Here's how he earned his yak the other night:



The Cat and the Rat (imagine that!)




Hey Cat, said the rat -

Why you lookin at me
like that?


I'm hardly a healthy SNACK.

I'm greasy, I'm fried
I'm genetically modified -

I'll give you a heart ATTACK.

(ack, ack!)


But the fish there in the dish
could be lunch if you wish


She's practically cholesterol-FREE;


like a flounder, cod or sole
but swimming 'round in that bowl

You can catch her so eeee-Zi-LEE.

(Not me!)


Don't worry, said the cat,
about ME getting fat...
I'll just skip the supersize FRIES

Now, better take your head start
and scoot away if you're smart



and give me some ex-Er-SIZE.

(Run and hide!)


Oh.


Well...


How 'bout the bird? I'll bet you've heard
they're abso-LUTE-ly superb

stuffed with parsley, a little thyme, and some SAGE

not only that, said the rat
as he grabbed for his hat...


she's busted the door to her CAGE.

(Next page...)




Gavvy made him tell it five times, which is the only reason I remember all the words; )

3 comments:

Rainey said...

ha ha! ^claps hands^ Tell us another one!!

Unknown said...

Great creation!

GalaTeah said...

Rainey told me there was a cat-rat story here on WorldWithoutOil someplace (she couldn't remember where) - only took me two weeks to find it.

The subject came up because we were cleaning out the basement and - yes, rats. I have never heard Inky scream like that before, and hope never again!

And I like the idea that the best storyteller gets the biggest piece of yak. Finally, resources going to the right person! Only takes a global oil crisis to straighten things out, eh?